South African courts are due to start releasing 270 miners being held over the deaths of fellow workers shot by police.
Acting national director of prosecutions, Nomgcobo Jiba, said she had taken the decision to review the charge, which had provoked widespread public anger.
"The murder charge against the current 270 suspects, which was provisional anyway, will be formally withdrawn provisionally in court on their next court appearance," she said.
A final decision will be taken on the charges following the conclusion of a series of investigations into the shootings, which left 34 miners dead and 78 wounded.
These include a judicial commission of inquiry appointed by President Jacob Zuma, which has until January to present its findings.
Ms Jiba said courts were due to begin releasing the miners on Monday after police verify their addresses.
At least 140 of the miners, whose addresses have already been verified, are scheduled to be freed, before the remainder are allowed home on Thursday.
Ms Jiba said: "The protesters are to be released conditionally... and their case postponed pending the finalisation of investigations."
While defending the initial use of the law with which the miners had been charged, she said she personally took the decision to withdraw the charges, having "noted the concerns voiced" on the matter.
The killings, during the wildcat strike on August 16 at the Lonmin platinum, in Marikana, northwest of Johannesburg, are being seen as the worst case of police violence since the end of apartheid.
South Africa's justice minister has demanded that prosecutors explain why the arrested miners were charged with murdering their own colleagues.
Lawyers for the miners have argued in an open letter to Mr Zuma that their detention is unlawful and called for their release.
But the president has refused to act on their demand, arguing it would be interfering with the work of the judiciary.
The striking miners want a wage increase from 4,000 rand a month (€377) to 12,500 rand(€1,180).
Lonmin, the world's third biggest platinum producer, says the workers already earn around 10,000 rand (€943) when bonuses and other compensation payments are included.
Elsewhere in the country, police are investigating a shootout between workers and security guards at a gold mine. It is thought four people have been injured by rubber bullets, one critically, at the Modder East mine in Gauteng.
About 12,000 workers went out on a wildcat strike on Wednesday, and the mine owner claims that some of those who attempted to return to work were pelted with stones.
The police were then called, and rubber bullets were fired to "calm the situation", resulting in the injuries.